The Olympic and Paralympic games taking place over the summer and London will be buzzing with millions of extra visitors heading to the capital throughout July, August and September.
Whilst hosting the event is an honour and a very exciting time for the UK, staging the Olympic and Paralympic games is the largest peacetime logistical exercise that any country can undertake and coupled with the fact it falls during the summer – the House Moving industry’s peak season – means there will be some impact on businesses due to the additional pressure of the increased activity in London.
Millions of extra people will be using the transport system, the majority in London, but there will also be an impact across a wider area than just around venues with major restrictions on the Olympic and Paralympic Route Networks and on road event routes, including the Olympic torch relay.
At Bournes we have evaluated the impact on our customers, staff and suppliers and are planning ahead to ensure minimum disruption.
What we are doing:
- Identifying early which of our customers will be affected by the games by cross checking origin and destination addresses as well as the routes between.
- Planning early and adjusting our move plans to ensure we allow the appropriate flexible resources, parking and access arrangements and allow enough time for journeys to ensure your move runs smoothly.
- Keeping informed and up to date with the ever evolving plans of Transport for London, communicating this with our customers and adjusting our planning accordingly.
- Assisting our customers with arranging parking for moves that are affected, we can handle this for you to ensure we take into account any temporary restrictions and avoid costly fines or delays on move day.
- Updating our crews on the information they will need, including detailed maps of the affected areas and changes to their route plans.
- Managing our resources to ensure we have the appropriate vehicles and crews available to service the different moving needs during the games. We are also in talks with our suppliers that may be affected to ensure that we have all the resources we need to serve our customers.
What you can do:
- Plan early! Not only is the Olympics going to make things busy, but it’s during the already busy summer season for moving companies, so moving companies services are going to be in high demand. Try to make arrangements as early as possible if you are planning on moving during this period.
- Try to be flexible – if you can arrange your moving date for outside of the times affected by the games this would be advisable, if you can’t don’t worry, we’ll come up with alternative plans to ensure your move runs smoothly.